Tuesday, June 05, 2007

More on tender vs semi

I don't know why I'm obsessed on explaining the difference, but sharing this knowledge with someone who might read this blog of mine motivates me to ask further more to the Ballast Control Officer (BCO) on the rig I when I was still on board.

One fine day when I had nothing to do on West Berani rig, I asked one of the BCO to better explain why the rig is not moving so violently compared to a tender.

Well, my previous explanation was basically correct, but the more detail on the rig design is the key. A tender rig only has one pontoon, exactly like a boat. So no wonder it's moving just like one. But a semi-tender rig has two pontoons on each side with six legs or columns to support the deck off the sea surface, just like a semisub rig. And similar to a semisub, it has at least 40 tanks to play around and balance the entire rig, whereas a tender only has 3 or 4 tanks, which really, couldn't be used to balance anything.

No wonder also, this kind of access ramp in the picture I have inserted above can be attached to a fix platform without snapping due to violent rig movement. Now you can see how easy it is to just climb those spiral stairs compared to climbing a rope ladder.


Ohh..and look how beautiful the full moon looks like ?? Too bad the camera couldn't really capture the light. Try to see into nature's wonder a little bit more appreciative, and it will definitely freshen your mind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for enlightening, buddy!

Your blog has been a great help and it's a joy to read and learn from the guys who have hands-on offshore experience.

Keep it going, buddy!

Cheers