Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Old Muscat

Sultan's palace being shot from the garden

One thing I did learn in my first day in Oman...if you tell a taxi driver to get you to Muscat, he will bring you to this old Muscat, the old town by the sea with old Portuguese fortresses on top of the cliffs, with one of three Sultan's palace and its beautiful colourful garden, the first bank in Oman which is HSBC (why am I not surprised) and the first fuel station in Oman (ofcourse it's Shell...what else would it be). Most of the goverments buildings are located in this old town, although I'm not quite sure if they really are based in this old Muscat. It seems to be too shady as the center of the Omani monarch. But who knows... The palace and gardens are quite beautiful. And the landscapes are magnificent.

Al Alam Palace area in between the rock hills

One other thing that will never leave your eye sights everywhere you go in Muscat, are the rock hills. Houses and bulidings are built in between these rock hills or cliffs, giving what my husband would call 'mediterranian look'. I don't really know how this mediterranian look actually looks like since I've never been there, but just see the pictures and you will know what I meant. Pictures after all can represent more than thousand words. Now where did I get this phrase from...oohh yeah...the geologists!! They love pictures, graphics, colours, and drawings. Just because they cannot really represent their subject in equations as we engineers normally do. Mmm...not me though...I love pictures as well :) and don't mind at all having less equations.

Houses area in one of the town

Nearby that old Muscat is another old port town, by the sea ofcourse, called Mattrah. Cargo ships to traditional wooden fishing boats are part of the regular view here. Sound of the sea gulls, honking of the car horns, and the distinct sound of the ship's diesel engine exhaust, mixed together with the warm sunshine, refreshing sea breezes and nice view of the sea, rock cliffs, and old forts, altogether creating an exotic nuance that never failed tourists to take more than just a glance. There's one recommended 'souk' or market full of native Omani souvenirs and handy crafts. Must bargain to get cheaper prices. As I'm not really keen on bargaining things, I only ended up with one souvenir. Plus the fact that I will still have to go camping with my backpack, I'm not really excited to do a lot of shopping. The less additional weight to my back and shoulders is the better.

That was a very short story to tell about Muscat, and I don't think it can represent even quarter of its beauty. But stay tune for my next geology trip journal...if I ever got a chance to write it because it was a long exciting week with lots and lots of story to tell....hmm...we shall see... ;) I just hope I will still remember all those geological terms by the time I actually write it down :p

Road by the sea - Mattrah town

No comments: