Friday, May 25, 2007

Life on the rig now

I finally experience how my life is, to be working on the rig not as LWD engineer. For sure, it's a lot less physical work, and different work pressure.

Before, I really hated if we got a tool failure. All these LWD stuffs have lots and lots of electronics. From the downhole tools, to surface sensors and computers. All are prone to failures. And whatever you do to make sure that everything will be running fine, but electronic failure can happen any time, slowly or in a sudden, and for sure unavoidable. That's what makes it stressful, and that's why we have back up for every equipment.

Once we get downhole tool failure, that's it. A lot more additional work to do. From preparing the back up tools, paperworks, troubleshooting the failure, etc etc.

But since I'm no longer an LWD engineer, I have not as many to worry. The most equipment that can fail on me is my laptop, and to have a backup for that, we execute the software in two laptops. If you have read my older post about my new laptop, then that's exactly the laptop I'm using to do my job now. Powerful it is since this software we're using to execute geosteering job really need a lot of processing capabilty and also a lot of memory.

And not as many to worry it is, that I can actually write here when we just experienced a tool failure and currently pulling the drill string out of the hole to change the tools. If I were still an LWD engineer, I will definitely be busy doing something else. My only concern now is that the job will get delayed for at least a day or two, which also means again that I have to spend more time on the rig. Fiuuhh....

No comments: