Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Rover Trail

It has been long due since the last time I did hiking or just took a long walk in the nature (forest trails or mountain). It has been my ambition as well to revisit my interest in this nature activity especially this year, since this country I'm working at the moment offers plenty of rain forest resorts, and I have plenty time for my own now. Also...I have 60 plus plus vacation days not yet taken, and believe me, I will definitely cut them by more than half this year. Backpacking to all these rain forest national parks in Malaysia will fill up most of the agenda. Of course, I will drag my husband along to accompany me, and for sure he will happily oblige :)

Browsing for activities that the various national parks can offer, we (my husband decided to be proactive in this matter) found an interesting rain forest just one hour drive from KLCC. It's actually a research forest, but nontheless. It's still a rain forest in the proximity of the city. Good stuff!!!


So called FRIM (Forest Research Institute Malaysia), located in Kepong, is the closest rain forest I can find in KL proximity.Me and my husband have visited it once, and I believe so many to come in the future. It has several trails that I can try at weekends if I'm to stay in the city. A big soccer field surrounded by thick forrest is one of the feature that interest my husband. Great place to do weekly exercise like walking, a little bit of hiking, jogging, and other sports with fresh and clean air. We're planning to play badminton there once in a while just for fun.

Canopy bridge hanging from tree to tree as high as 30m off the ground can be visited also for those interested in viewing the forest life from up there, but it's limited to certain days only.

Rover trail (it reminded me of one rig in particular) is one of the longest trail it has to offer, as far as 5kms. Not too long, just nice for short exercise. You can walk down that trail until the other end in about an hour to two, depends on your pace. The canopy bridge entrance is in that trail as well, so in saturdays I bet the trail is quite congested with study tour students.


I remember when I asked my Malaysian friends if they have visited FRIM before. Most of them will reply me with a positive answer, but long long time ago, such as when they're still in elementary school :) I don't blame them, but it's such a waste not to visit the beauty of a rain forest just close by our home. I believe I will keep coming to this Rover trail just to get a lungfull of fresh air in the depth of a forest in the middle of the city.

I can use this as my physical preparation to climb Kinabalu Mt. if the chance arises. Maybe some time this year if it's not too fully booked yet ?? A friend of mine told me that it's fully booked until the end of Q3. Yare yare....

No comments: